Hoslab – building part of the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Centre
HDR | Rice Daubney receives five Global Healthcare Design awards
We are thrilled to announce that the ‘Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Centre’, has received three Global Healthcare Design awards, the highest honour in all categories recognising excellence in research and practice of global healthcare design.
– World Architecture Festival 2014 (Health Category Winner) Singapore
– Design and Health International Academy Awards 2014 (Interior Design Category) Toronto
– Modern Healthcare Design Awards (Award of Excellence) Chicago
– Healthcare Design Magazine’s Design Showcase (Award of Merit for Healthcare Design) San Diego
– Contract Healthcare Environment Awards (Honourable Mention, Acute category) San Diego
The vision for Lifehouse was to become Sydney’s premier Integrated Cancer Centre, a centre for excellence based on redefining the patient experience. Its vision – a genuine patient focused facility, broad based holistic treatment in a world-class clinical environment with integrated research programmes.
The architectural response facilitates research and development, promoting interaction and knowledge sharing. Internal spaces have been designed to promote informal discussions between staff and researchers and maximise integration of staff and the public to produce a ‘Healthy Building’.
The patients are centric to the design from the point of arrival, through to the experience of moving through the facility. Waiting areas and corridors are celebrated – views and aspect showcased, the quality of the filtered light defined as the central concept. Light is uplifting.
Throughout the design process, we worked with Lifehouse clinicians and researchers to provide an intelligent and sympathetic response. We pay tribute to our client and extend our congratulations to the entire team for their outstanding design and achievement.